Sherry Poole, Co-Founder, LPC, LCDC
Sherry Poole, LPC, is one of the founders of Veritas Wellness Center, PLLC. She completed her undergraduate degree at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, and entered the oil and gas field as an accountant. She practiced accounting for several years before transitioning to a more personally rewarding field: clinical psychology.
Sherry received her master’s degree in counseling from Houston Baptist University, graduating with honors. During her internship at The DBT Center of Houston, she taught clients Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) skills such as Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotional Regulation and Interpersonal Effectiveness. Subsequently she also completed the advanced training course in DBT from its developer, Marsha Linehan, PhD, and participated in extensive training with DBT expert Lane Pederson, PhD. She continues to enhance her DBT skills by attending numerous continuing education courses.
Sherry joined The Prism Center in Bellaire, TX, in 2006, where she was hired as a DBT psychotherapist and subsequently promoted to Assistant Director. She was instrumental in the development of both outpatient and intensive outpatient programs for clients struggling with Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, depressive disorders and anxiety disorders.
Sherry has an interest and special expertise in:
- Improving clients’ quality of life by training them to use DBT life skills in both their personal and professional lives. This training can be conducted in either a group setting or via customized individual mentoring.
- Coaching professionals in developing skills to achieve career success, particularly when struggling with anxiety, depression and interpersonal issues.
- Guiding college students and young adults in their journey through the educational system and transition into adulthood.
- Employing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help clients improve their self-worth by challenging and replacing unproductive core beliefs.
- Counseling individuals and couples who struggle with interpersonal relationships, boundaries, and codependency issues.
- Working with clients to uncover and resolve childhood issues and past experiences which continue to cause pain and problems in their lives.
Sherry believes it is vitally important to develop meaning, purpose and skills in one’s life to achieve personal satisfaction. To her, fulfillment is reached after receiving comments such as “this is what I have been looking for…I didn’t want to just talk about my feelings and problems; I wanted concrete skills, which I have now learned. I couldn’t be happier! Thank you!”